Interaction Fodder (0 comments)

Interaction Fodder

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Via Gruber I just read through “A Brief Rant On The Future Of Interaction Design”. Briefly, it's a rant about how so-called “touch” designs (and also predictive simulations of their future possibilities) are really not fully “touch” based in that they’re unidirectional and incomplete. The user can move things under glass, but has no feedback returned about what's happening under the glass. On top of that, there are multiple different ways we primates manipulate things with our hands, and these interfaces take advantage of only a small subset of those possibilities.

The first thing I thought of while reading it was Horace Dediu’s recent post on Revolutionary User Interfaces. Which discusses how Apple’s major user-input changes have been a major factor in the success of their products. From the Mouse, to the iPod click-wheel, to the iPhone’s current touch interface, the interaction method has been the defining product differentiator.

I have no predictive thoughts on top of that, but it seems unlikely that Apple’s (or others’) teams aren't thinking in similar directions, internally. We already have gyroscopes and accelerometers in our hand-held devices, I wonder what the interfaces would be like with pressure sensitivity? I also wonder what could be done when haptic feedback can accommodate both small scale finger feedback (well) and larger scale gripping-style feedback?

Threshold:  Locked
The Fine Print: The above comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
Hell, let's face it, we're not responsible for anything; including the things we say, do, or think. And if you sue us because you think we are? Well, we're not responsible for that either.